"In the end, the only thing you really own is your story"

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Can you make money as a musician?



Short answer: YES!!! Long answer? How long have you got? Hopefully a few minutes to read this blog...that's why you clicked on the link after all. Any one who has chosen to make a living in the arts whether it be in music, dance, art, theatre, writing or any of the other categories that fall under "College of Arts and Sciences" have most likely been faced with this uncomfortable yet inevitable query. It comes in many shapes and sizes.

For example: "Oh you actually MAKE MONEY DOING THAT?" "What is your REAL job?" "When are you going to get a REAL job?" "So your life must just be a constant party?" "It must be really hard doing what you do?" "Oh so you do that on the side...like a hobby?" "Oh so you must make more at your day job?" And the always classic: "So do you teach?"

(Answer key: 1.) Yes. I do make $. 2.) THIS is my REAL job. 3.) Probably never...oh wait...I have ONE. 4.) Yes singing for a living IS entertaining but it's also work. I'm not exactly doing lines of coke with Keith Richards every weekend. When you're partying I'm WORKING. 5.) There are very high highs and very low lows but I wouldn't trade my career choice for anything. 6.) No. I don't "do this on the side" ... this is my CAREER. Please treat it as such. 7.) Nope. Not even close...when I'm "in season" I can make more in a weekend performing than I make in a month at my day job. True/sad story. 8.) Yes. Many of us do but we shouldn't have to hide behind the "music teacher" title just to be taken seriously. Musician is a serious title too. When did it get such a bad rap? Was it the 80s...yeah...it was probably the 80s. Side note: This is not a dig at actual music teachers...you know who you are)

Okay, okay...I know I seem as though I am ranting and perhaps I am. For whatever reason I have been faced with the "musicians making money" question more often than usual over the past couple of months and I felt the need to clear the air. I understand that my lifestyle is different than the average nine to fiver but to be honest how many people now-a-days are ACTUALLY following this 9-5 paradigm? I don't think that musicians (or anyone in the arts) should have to defend their career choices or how they make money to other people. You wouldn't ask a lawyer or a doctor "how they make money" so why are you asking me? I sing for 3 hours, people have a good time, I get paid at the end of the night. I don't think this is a difficult concept. I provide a service and this service is something that people pay money for. End. of. story.

Now I WILL admit that I have done a lot of good, bad and ugly gigs. That comes with the territory. And yes, I sing covers. My background is in theatre and I love performing. I have no problem covering other artists material. Please don't ask me if this is creatively stimulating because again the short answer is YES. Think about it this way...what did you do at work today? Make copies? Send faxes? Or e-mails? Well I sang a Jackson 5 medley followed by Sly and the Family Stone with a little TLC thrown in like a cherry on top. And I got high fived. By lots of people. When was the last time YOU got high fived at work? How many offices are throwing those around? (If yours does I wanna work there). Now obviously there are gigs that are better than others. Just like there are days at YOUR job that are better than others. Could I live without singing 'Don't Stop Believing" ever again? Sure...but I digress. Professional musicians are just like any other professional. We have good days and bad. We have profitable months and less profitable months. That's LIFE. It is NOT unique to musicians.

At the end of the day I have no problem explaining to someone that their pre-conceived notions about artists MAY not be correct. There are certainly dead beat musicians (stereotypes exist for a reason after all) but there are also dead beat teachers and lawyers and shop owners. That is based on the individual NOT the career. I am using this blog as a forum to air my frustrations because I have, of late, found myself getting very defensive and irritated over this issue and let's face it...that's no way to be. This question comes out of naivety so I can't really fault the asker. I also can't stand idly by and not say anything about it.

Here's the basic message I want to get across. People in the arts are legitimate members of the working community. We train for years to do what we do and should be treated with the same respect as any other profession. It is not easy to follow your heart and your passion. It is not easy to constantly have people doubting your legitimacy. It is not easy having a career with such extreme highs and extreme lows. Pounding the pavement can, at times, be exhausting and lonely and ultimately so so worth it. There are times when every performer has doubts and you have to get really good at (and secretly kinda love) rejection. I'm not asking to be treated any differently because I have chosen a field that is harder than most what I'm asking is to be treated like every other working member of society.

So next time you want to ask a musician "do you really make money doing that", stop, keep that thought inside your head and instead ask "Do you love what you do?" 9 times out of the 10 the answer will be yes.

And that my friend is worth more money than you can possibly imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment